Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Wise Choices: Spicy Grilled Chicken w/ Quinoa & Lentil Salad & Fresh Salsa Verde

As promised, I'm going to hit you with a healthy option.  I love using fresh ingredients.  I must admit, I didn't take the BEST picture (main reason why I have chosen to omit it from the post, but if you follow me on Instagram - Southerncrumb412, you will DEF see it .  But you have to trust me when I say the flavors in this dish is are well worth trying this recipe.

I didn't really measure as usual (I'm going to work on this folks, just bare with me while I go through it lol) but as usual LET'S USE OUR SENSE OF TASTE TO GUIDE US THROUGH THIS.

**Note: This recipe is another cafeteria inspired dish.  I miss that place SPECIFICALLY FOR THIS ONE! 

This is a rather short post, but I have something special planned for later on so...here we go!

Spicy Grilled Chicken w/ Quinoa & Lentil Salad & Fresh Salsa Verde

Spicy Chicken

-small package thinly spiced chicken breast
-onion powder
-garlic powder
-black pepper
-Lawry's Seasoning salt
-cajun seasoning


Rise the chicken and pat dry.  Then lightly seasoning with all of the above.  Take a grill plan and lightly oil it with olive oil and turn on medium heat.  Cook the chicken through.

Quinoa & Lentil Salad


Quinoa

-1 cup uncooked Quinoa rinsed
-1 cup water
-1 cup low-sodium chicken broth

 
Cook the Quinoa according to packaging.  Only difference is that I used a bit of chicken broth, because quinoa takes on flavor very well.

Lentils
 
-1 cup dry lentils
-2 cups water
-garlic powder
-onion powder
-salt
-black pepper

In a small pot, put in the lentils and water and seasoning the water lightly.  Cook the beans until they are tender but not too soft.

Let both the quinoa and the lentils cool.   In the meantime, cup up green pepper, red pepper, red onion, cilantro, and mango. Mix in 1 cup of craisins and then mix in the quinoa and the lentils.  Add salt and pepper to taste and drizzle a little white balsamic to finish off.  Put in the fridge to chill for about a half hour.

Salsa Verde
-5 tomatillo
-1 serrano pepper
- 5 cloves of garlic
-1 half a white onion
-cilantro
-juice of a lime

Take first four ingredients and put on a cookie shit and drizzle with olive oil and broil until you get nice char marks on the veggies.  Take out and put directly into blender.  Add cilantro, salt and the juice of half a lime.  My blender actually has a salsa setting.  If not pulse until all ingredients are blended well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment