Monday, March 24, 2014

Soulful Sundays: Ribs, Greens & Peas

 
 
 
Hey guys.  Straight off of yesterday's rant, I'm here with my first Sunday post.  I was supposed to post this yesterday, but I felt crazy so to bed I went.  Either way, this post really was inspired by my experience at Uncle Willie's in West Haven, CT. 
 
**Disclaimer: This is MY OPINION nobody has to agree with me, and obviously some people don't i.e. why they have a lucrative business.
 
I just moved to West Haven and a work colleague ranted and raved about this BBQ place that I just had to try. Honestly, I actually wanted to try it because I had heard a lot of great things about the place.  Needless to say, my cousin and I visited the restaurant around 5:30pm on a Saturday.  Few issues:
 
1)      I got there at 5:30, I didn't leave until like 7:05pm (this is an "eat in, take out" type of spot, but really where the F was my food?!)
2)      When I got my food I was upset that my peach cobbler was cold (like did you scoop this out the fridge?).
3)      I knew better than ordering collard greens and black eyed peas and rice, but hey everyone said it was good #neveragain
 
BUT before you think I am completely trashing them, their bbq tasted yummy; it was their SIDES that pissed me off.
 
Now I will say this, I am a snob when it comes to soul food, because I was spoiled for years #ripgrandma.  And although I don't expect it to be perfect, anyone that knows good soul food knows it's rich in flavor, unlike the bland collards and peas that sat before me that night.
 
A mouth full I know, so I knew that I had to remake this, because it didn't satisfy the craving I originally had.  I LOVE BLACK EYED PEAS and jump at the chance to have them especially since I typically only eat them during the winter months, but I had to make an exception specifically for this post.   
 
 
 
Ribs:
 
*1.5 slabs – directly from the butcher that cut them for me
*onion powder
*garlic powder
*Lawry's seasoning salt
*black pepper
*crush red pepper
 
 
Wash the ribs.  Season with all the above, light on the crushed red pepper unless you like real spicy. Cover & put in the oven at 350 for about 1.5 – 2 hours.  When you take the foil off the top, put back in the oven and let it get a bit of color (when you take the cover off they should be a grayish color, you are looking to brown them a bit).  Check and flip once you got the color you want.  Take out again and add bbq sauce.  I used hunts, although I typically use Kraft.  I used a hickory brown sugar and original and added apple cider vinegar, honey and crush red pepper.  Put on the sauce on side put in the oven and let the sauce bake on, turn them and do the same to the other side.
 
Collard Greens:
 
*2 bundles of collard greens
*1 slice of country ham
*1 smoke hock
 
Take the stem off the collard greens.  This is an important step.  If you have ever had any bitter greens, it's because enough of the stem wasn't taken off of the leaf.  In the meanwhile, have a pot with water on the stove and drop the country ham and smoked hock in the water.  This time around I rolled my collard greens, because I haven't bought any larger pots.  I spit the green in half and then rolled it and cut them.  This prevents them from being too long.  In a large bowl, place the collard greens and sprinkle with a little salt and added water to wash the greens.  The salt will kill any living insect on the greens if you are using fresh out the garden greens.  Wash about 3 times or until the water runs clean.  Place the greens into the boiling water.  You might have to add a bit more water.  Add a little bacon grease to the pot.  Cook the greens for about an hour before adding salt.  Country ham is salty by its self, so you want to make sure you are not over salting your food.  Cook time in general is about 1.5 – 2 hours.
 
Black-eyed Peas:
 
 
 
*1 bag of black eyed peas
*1 slice of country ham
*salt
*pepper
*onion powder
*4 bay leaves
 
Take a large bowl and put the beans in and cover completely with water.  Some people will tell you to soak overnight; my opinion is at least for an hour.  This will make the peas softer and will reduce the cook time.  Put the country ham on the stove to boil in water.  Add the peas to the pot.  You want enough water to just cover the top of the peas.  Add in all seasonings but the salt.  After about an hour of boiling, taste and add salt to taste.  Should take about 1.5-2 hours.  Make sure you check often, stir and cook it on a low temp to avoid burning your beans.
 
Like always, I'm not precise with my measurements, but if you have any questions, post one here! I will try to guide you the best I can.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Love the post girl! I'm looking forward to the next #soulfulsunday already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh there will be many more to come. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete