Monday, April 14, 2014

Sweet Ending Sundays: Apple Crisp in Rum Cream Sauce



Well hello there!  I must say I am absolutely EXHAUSTED, but it is important to get some of these recipes out to you guys.

Today, coming straight off our savory meal, I thought how best could I round out this Sunday with dinner.  The only thing that came to mind was Apple Crisp.  And when I tell you Peach Cobbler and Apple Crisp run neck and neck as my fav dishes (clearly if you read my blog you know that Peach Cobbler wins), I mean it's WAAAAAAAYYYY close!

Either way, every time I try something out, I do my research and then I decide how best to bring the recipe to the world. This time around I decided to couple it with a rum cream sauce instead of the water that is typically used to create the sauce. With anything sometimes things work out the way they should and sometimes they don't.  And when any of my baking adventures goes wrong (which surely did) I call Aunt Gene!  Everyone needs an Aunt Gene, she is witty, sharped tongued, but when I tell you she knows her stuff, she knows her stuff.  The horror began when the topping of my Apple Crisp, didn't "crisp."  She told me to omit the flour going forward and potentially add in some type of nuts, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts anything.  So to save the day, I suggest pouring some melted butter on top of the mixture and that worked!  With that said I will give you the recipe as is, but I firmly believe that you should use at least 2x's the amount of butter suggested for the crumble on top.

-7 Granny Smith apples pilled, cored and sliced
-1 cup white sugar
-1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-1 cup quick-cooking oats
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1 cup packed brown sugar
-1/4 teaspoon baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 cup butter, melted

Rum Cream Sauce

 -1/4 cup heavy cream
-1 tablespoon Run Extract
-1 tablespoon sugar
-1 tablespoon butter

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease cast iron skillet with butter until completely coated.  In a bowl put the cup of sugar, cinnamon and a tablespoon of flour and toss the apples in the mixture until fully coated.  Then place apples in the cask iron skillet.  In a small pot, heat butter, heavy cream, sugar and rum extract.  Pour this over the apple mixture and stir to make sure it is worked all the way in. 

Combine the oats, 1 cup flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and melted butter together. Crumble evenly over the apple mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees F for about 45 minutes. (clearly mine cooked for about an hour to an hour 15 because of my crisis.)

Any questions or comments folks, leave it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment